Tennessee officials have approved repair plans for the Grainger County marina where two boys died after they were electrocuted while swimming on the Fourth of July, according to an article in the Knoxville (Tenn.) News.
Noah Winstead, 10, and Nate Lynam, 11, both of Morristown, Tenn., were swimming between two houseboats at the German Creek Marina in Bean Station, Tenn., when an electric current coursed through the water. Noah died at the scene, and doctors took Nate off life support the next day.
An inspection by the state Department of Commerce and Insurance found deficiencies in the marina's electrical system and ordered the owners to make repairs and to file a corrective plan. A letter to the marina cited 20 deficiencies, including a lack of ground wires and a need for marine-rated power meters.
The owners agreed to shut off power to the marina until those repairs could be made. They filed a plan for repairs within days of the notification, Christopher Garrett, a state spokesman, told the newspaper.
The corrective plan includes installing permanent "no swimming" signs, new transformers and a new electrode system. The marina also will rework its grounding system and add new power outlets to reduce boaters' need for extension cords, according to the plan developed by Maffett Loftis Engineering of Cookeville, Tenn.
A call from the newspaper to the marina for comment went unanswered Wednesday.
Click here to read the full article.